Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day 2012: A Letter From A Woman Who Loved The Right Man

My father was the disciplinarian.
 His voice sounded like thunder whenever he would chastise me. I feared his chastisements more that I feared the physical punishment. As a child I had gotten many a whippings because I just couldn't seem to control my emotions. But I didn't know it at the time. I didn't always get whipped, though. Sometimes I had to go without my favorite things for a while, or had to stay home when I wanted to go and do something with my friends. 
My father was the comedian.
 I loved when my father was home because he would do silly impressions and make me laugh. I thought he was so funny. Whenever I was sad, or in my emotions, he would sing this song, "Hey Hey why so glum, buck up chum, do you want some gum?" and he would pull out some bubble gum from his pocket! That would make me feel better. And he would sit and sing me songs till I was rolling on the floor laughing!
My father was the provider.
 Anything I ever needed, I got from my dad. Whenever I needed shoes, he would get them for me. Whenever I needed school supplies or clothes, he would get it for me. I may not have had everything I wanted, but my dad made sure I had everything I needed.
My father was Strong.
 I remember how I would wrap my arms around his biceps  and he would pick me up with one arm. I remember how we would go for walks and I would get tired, and he would give me a piggy back ride all the way home. People used to refer to my father as "Strong Man" because he could lift twice his weight. He was even said that he had wrestled a bear in his youth!
My father is Wise. 
My father is the wisest man I know. If I would have had sense enough to listen to him when I needed to, maybe I would be better off than where I am now. But I am grateful to have him and his wisdom in my life right now for however long that maybe.
My father is my best friend.
There is never a day goes by where I don't think about him or call him to let him know that I am thinking about him and am praying for his health. He is an amazing person that I wish everyone could know. He is smart, funny, and very wise. I thank God everyday for allowing me the opportunity to know a person of sound moral judgement and character to be an example over my life. Thanks Daddy for being there for me when nobody else will. Thanks for the encouraging words that you give me even when you think I don't listen, I do. Thanks for all the times you have bailed me out of my own stupidity. You are truly a gem., one that grows more priceless as time goes by! I love you and Happy Fathers' Day 2012.